Friday, September 2, 2011

College Classes Combine for Big Idea

Shortly after starting my freshman year of college, I quickly came to the realization that my train of thought is going to be changed for a lifetime. After attending my first session with my Econ professor he had made it sure that learning is basically 4 steps, ( repeat information, comprehension, analysis, and utilization.) Following, this conversation a few days later I was assigned to read a reading that highlighted these same components. Learning only truly takes place on the analysis and utilization levels. Even a parrot can repeat phrases to please a master but until you can go in depth without hesitation I believe you cannot truly say you know that particularly understand the information at hand. Now, I know that this process is by far not easy and will not come to me overnight but I am willing to take on the opportunity and see if I can accomplish this learning process. When there is a topic at hand that is not interesting this is going to be very difficult to do. I really hope through my learning process that I will be able to be at this level. Just entereing college though, I know this will be harder. I have yet been able to comprehend a lesson or a reading the first time through. I have to go back think and think before I come to my own conclusion of what was being stated and the meaning behind the words. Overall what I learned in my lecture about levels of learning and the reading assigned to me a few days later is that all my life what I thought I learned I haven't completly. I know how to regurgitate it like a parrot but to fully explain many topics I would stare like a cow staring at a new gate. This opened my eyes and I think that it will give me a new outlook at how to approach my college experience. When I attend classes, unlike high school that gave me little preperation, I am now taking notes and looking over the information. I have come to a conclusion already that notes alone will not get me to this level that I hope to reach. I need to be able to orally translate my mental notes with analysis and examples. College definetly isn't what I have expected so far, and yet not as hard as I have heard about it. I think that in this discussion and reading it is trying to potray that when experiencing the unknown that dosen't come natural to embrace it, learn it, and eventually know it so well you would be able to teach it. This discussion helped me and I hope that the thought I feel about this conversation will carry with me every class I attend this semester and semesters to come.

roswellguidance.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment