Sunday, October 9, 2011

First College Essay

Writing on a college level. Well it seems like an easy assignment until you comprehend just how much work it takes to achieve that college level. When I was back in high school I was assured that I was on the right track and had all the concepts down. I was happy thought I was well prepared. However, I failed to realize that this wasn't a university professor providing me this information, it was  a high school teacher. In my time so far in college I learned the tricks that made you successful there aren't transferring into my college experience. Overall a good way of learning just what college is about is learning to write all over again. My first real essay happens to be about a close community and mine happened to be about how the oil industry kills rural life. My thought process through the paper was at first, well this will be easy just everything I know slapped onto a page like I used to and be praised for my brilliance. Well this logic works until you get feedback on your first draft and learn that you truly aren't that smart. Then you look at it again and say oh duh I knew all that, add some quotes and a little MLA format and there you go a prize winning paper. However the same outcome occurs with the second draft. At this point I started realizing that the paper and writing skills that I once saw as the most efficient in writing a paper isn't quite what I put it out to be. Instead  through my process of failures I learned that the best way of being successful at writing in college is to just start your learning process all over again. If you remain stubborn through the process that they are trying to teach you, then you may never truly be good at writing in a correct format. From just this experience in my composition class, I am going to start learning how to take the professors advice on what will work. After all if you look at the logic behind it, They might be one of my first professors, but I am not one of there first students. Experience is the only way of learning by trial and error and for me to have assumed that I could out smart a professor was pretty dumb. So I will chop it off as a loss and go ahead and change my viewpoint of college learning. It it truly different and the professors aren't there to put up with you. They are there for a purpose, its up to us to take in the information and utilize it.

unipapers.org

No comments:

Post a Comment