Sunday, October 2, 2011

Exam Results

So obviously no one said it was going to be easy. In the end I came out being 2 for 4. Guess that isn't too bad considering it was my first actual exams in college. My range on grades went from 57 to a 94 so now I got an idea of what I need to focus on and what I can maybe look at last minute. Although when I turned in all my exams I felt like they were a solid B at least, the results gave me a different reality of what truly occurred on my "confident" answers. I studied for all my exams and didn't even cram the information in last minute. When I got my grade of a 57 back I felt devastated, I mean in high school for those answers I would of been getting extra credit and a definite 100. However, news flash always seems to ruin that certainty and college is not high school and the reality is what worked there isn't very applicable to college settings for the most part. After realizing that the professor that just gave me my first failing exam in college was one of the toughest on campus I didn't feel as bad. In that particular class there are about 5 people retaking the class because they did not pass it the first time. When they said there scores were only 70 to a 78 my 57 somehow didn't feel as shameful. I know that the grade isn't what I normally would desire but I am looking at that as a lesson that I need to take advantage of the Si sessions available and find out strategies to be successful in that particular class. Another lesson I learned in another class was  a simple but important one that thinking back I was taught in high school, "RTDQ". RTDQ stands for Read The Damn Question. If I would have listened to this advice on my algebra exam I would have got a 100 but instead of reading the questions last instructions I overlooked the part that sated "check your answer". I lost a lot of points for just not showing my answer was correct. Overall I was disappointed in my exams and felt I had more control of the outcome and had too much confidence. It was an eyeopener I will use on  future preparation attempts to ensure that the same outcome will not result. Failing out of college is not an option and I will make sure my strategies adjust so that I will overcome this exam and compensate it with exams to come.

cartoonistgroup.com

No comments:

Post a Comment